K

K

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Action

Lately I've been slacking, but I have decided to swing things around and pick myself up. Slacking doesn't make for happiness, at least for me.

I have now been trying much harder in school, and life in general. It feels good to do well. Progressing...

What I have been slacking on the most is my photography, which really breaks my balls. I seem to get stagnant sometimes and have trouble finding the motivation to shoot. I am trying to change that. I am deciding that I will start pushing myself to become a better photographer.

The Act of Action

Yesterday I joined up with Andrew Eckels, Tim Black, Patrick Longley, and local Baker legend 'Woods' to do some backcountry skiing.

We left Bellingham at 6:15 a.m. and drove as close as we could to Hadley Glacier. Hiking four miles through the snow, in a the forest which was transitioning beautifully between fall and winter, was an amazing way to start of the day.

Snow!

White Powda

The Crew from left to right: Patrick Longley, Andrew Ackles, Tim Black, Woods, I'm not pictured

Approaching


The ski bum, the legend

Contrast

Transitions

Eckels

Tim and Patrick scoping the zone

Hadley Glacier, where we ended up skiing, was covered with a foot to two feet of snow depending on wind direction. The snow made for some amazing skiing, but intensive hiking. We got two laps in and the skiing was incredible. We never even touched the hardpack of the glacier, just fresh white powder!

Woods getting his shred on
Tim lapping that white powda!

I am pretty out of shape, so the hiking took a toll on me. By the time we started heading back to the car I was already exhausted. The four mile trek proved to be rigorous, but a good wake up call for what is to come. We got to the car just as it got dark, completing our 10 hour, nine mile day in the beautiful Mt. Baker Wilderness. The adventure was the hardest, but most accomplishing thing I have done in months. It was refreshing to get out and shoot again, hopefully this will be the beginning of the end of my stagnation.

It was inspiring to get out into the land that I live so near to, and to do it with such energetic backcountrymen made the experience very influential. I have a feeling that this will be the first of many incredible backcountry adventures this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment