K

K

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Motion

Motion [moh-shuh n] - the action or process of moving or of changing place or position; movement.

Last week in my photojournalism class we were asked to capture motion for our weekly assignment. It turned out to be a very fun project. I got out and shot a few different sports; skateboarding, longboarding, kendamaing and some football. Overall the shots that turned out the best were the skating shots.

I used the technique of panning to capture motion; I slowed down the shutter speed and swung the camera to follow the subject which created a blurred background and a subject that was in focus. The shots turned out better than I expected, and I re-realized a fun technique to add a feeling of motion to a photo:

Jason Major in the act of performing an ollie off a slanted stone feature at the
 corner of Champion Street and Magnolia Street in downtown Bellingham. Major was
 meeting up with some friends to skate for the first time since fall, "it sounded like
 a fun thing to do at the time, and it ended up being really fun," says Major.









1 comment: